Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Behind the scenes at The Australian Ballet




Behind the scenes photos by Teagan Glenane.

In recent weeks I have been very fortunate to have struck up a relationship with the Australian Ballet... you may have noticed that their current show, Concord, is sponsoring my site at the moment, and I was lucky enough also to receive some tickets to opening night last Friday! How lovely is that?! Thankyou so much Kate and Kitty at the Aus Ballet! It was a truly inspiring and very eclectic show, and I felt so special to be there!

ANYWAY I am actually not writing to plug Concord... (although it was amazing!) instead I feel compelled to draw your attention again to the incredible Behind Ballet blog... I know I've mentioned it before but it is just so well put together I just can't recommend it enough! So many large companies and cultural organisations try and do the 'behind the scenes' blog thing and it just doesn't work - I guess because so often it is not properly planned, curated and prioritised. Not so with the Behind Ballet blog! This is an absolute treasure trove of stunning behind the scenes photographs, profiles on all the beautiful dancers, videos, and more. Some of the absolute gems to be discovered over there at the moment include :

- Incredible behind-the-scenes videos of the dancers and choreographers rehearsing Concord, and discussing this challenging performance. These videos are so amazing! It's utterly mesmerising watching the dancers in their rehearsal environment, concentrating so hard to master each dance. It's also really interesting to see the dancers in a new light... and to see them as real people....!



The video above documents rehearsals for the ultra-contemporary Dyad 1929. Also do check out this other beautiful video documenting the more traditional and very entertaining Suola di Ballo (both works are part of Concord).

From the Scuola di Ballo video by Melbourne filmmakers The Apiary. Top - Choreographer Alexei Ratmansky. Bottom - dancer Dana Stephenson.

The Behind Ballet videos are by super-talented young Melbourne filmmakers Gavin Youngs and Lily Coates - aka The Apiary.

- A peek into the costume / set department - a world of mannequins, metres and metres of beautiful textiles, and a collection of Phillipe Starck Ghost Chairs...! photographs by Teagan Glenane.

The Australian Ballet's scenic designer Scott Matthewson at work. Photo - Teagan Glenane.

Costume department details. Photo - Teagan Glenane.

Do pop over and check it out... I know nothing about dance at all and I could easily lose myself for hours in the Behind Ballet blog!

ps. Also I have a major girl crush on dancer Dana Stephenson. She is too gorgeous for words. Hee! I think it was those lovely videos... ;)
Get your own Australian Ballet crush here.

Dana Stephenson rehearses.

1 comment:

  1. Of course they have rolls and rolls of coloured tulle!

    ReplyDelete