Monday, April 6, 2009

Inside Out - May/June issue

This cute little drawstring bag, designed by Grace Lee, comes free with the May/June issue of Inside Out

A weird thing happened last week. Inside Out sent me a press-release. Well... not an actual press-release... more of a generalised 'hey, we love your blog... thought you might like to check this out' email, referring to the gorgeous little draw-string bag freebie attached to the May/June issue of the mag.

It is a particularly cute little bag... and definitely the best freebie I've seen stuck to a magazine cover in the last few years. It's also designed by Inside Out's Grace Lee, and produced in Australia by Apple & Bee, which makes it extra special.

But the whole mail-out thing does seem like a peculiar role-reversal... I feel like it should be me asking Inside Out for a plug, rather than the other way around!

Curiouser and curiouser.

Anyway, you guys know I need no encouragement to sing the praises of Inside Out. It's one of my absolute favourite Australian mags, and aside from the gorgeous little free gift, this is a great issue as always. Some of my favourite pages below.

Photos from the stunning home of Spanish Jewellery designer Helena Rohner. Photos by Birgitta Wolfgang Drejer at Sisters Agency.

More from Helena Rohner's home... I really love the intricate patterned floor tiles... so brave and so effective.

Shots from the Melbourne home of Anton Assaad, founder of Great Dane Furniture. Photos by Sharyn Cairns, Styling Glen Proebstel.

More from the home of Anton Assaad

This shot by Sam McAdam, styled by Glen Proebstel. Beautiful, bright space... love the windows and that vintage UK propaganda poster.

ps) If anyone at Inside Out is reading... can I have a column?!! Now that would make me excited! x

7 comments:

  1. I'm all for Lucy having a column. Did you know I heard a story recently about a certain Inside Out styling staffer who had never heard of The Selby? They need a bit of external input as they're stuck inside offices all day doing admin instead of finding the pulse of the design world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you for the wonderful write-up! So truly generous! Love that you are loving the bag and the issue.

    OF COURSE, we read The Design Files. It's one of the most thoroughly bookmarked blogs in our office.

    As for the column, well, who knows what will happen in the future? (Tip: lots of chocolate helps our decision-making process... !)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca - Thanks so much for your comment and support for my Inside Out column campaign! I have to say I am probably Inside Out's biggest fan so I have only good things to say about their creative team!... in fact... an interview with the incredible Vanessa Colyer Tay is in the works... stay tuned!

    Inside Out - ha! I was being a bit cheeky about the column! But I may have to ply you with chocolates anyway... :) hee! Anyway thanks for the heads up about the gorgeous Grace Lee bag... it's truly the loveliest free gift I have seen on a mag in the last few years... and Australian designed and made! love it x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love Apple & Bee.

    I really like your blog...I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy, I know what you mean about feeling weird with the role reversal. I got the mail-out too, and was seriously flattered.
    I actually subscribe to Inside Out so not I have 2 of the gorgeous little bags.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved my little Apple & Bee bag & have actually decided to frame it! Good luck with the pitch for an Inside Out column - I'd read a design savvy column by you every single issue for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought my current issue of inside out today and am LOVING the bag, but its too cute I don't want to use it!

    I am loving Helena Rohner's house, and I havent gotten to it yet so I'm not sure who's house it is, but I flicked ahead and I love the renovated barn in France... so dreamy.... I want to live there...mmmm

    ReplyDelete