Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Selby

Portrait of independent artist / writer / musician / filmmaker / curator Aaron Rose at his home in Silverlake, LA by Todd Selby.

I think it's possible I haven't yet blogged about The Selby...? Have I?

The Selby is the amazing photo-blog / website of New Yorker Todd Selby. He mainly photographs interesting creative people in their homes and studio spaces. Almost everyone he photographs has(have?) multiple job descriptions, ie 'stylist / illustrator', ' film director / DJ' and 'student / artist / musician' etc. I get the feeling Mr Selby mixes in all the right circles.

However, it does makes me feel a bit better about being a props buyer / set dresser / stylist / writer. :) (...constantly dreading the 'what do you do?' question)


These from the home of NY-based artist Ian Hundley (who makes incredible quilted maps).


The home of Erin Wasson (model / multi-tasker)

...these shots look so much better in a larger format... check out The Selby for much bigger pics :)

3 comments:

  1. I am envious how crochet rugs always look cool in other people's houses :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm addicted to The Selby too! I love that the spaces are messy and don't really look like they've been styled (although I'm sure they have). I don't like when homes look "perfect".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ladies thanks so much for your comments! :)

    YES polka dot rabbit I totally agree with you about crochet rugs! I think they require photoshopping to look cool. In my house they would just look grandma-ish.

    Natalie... YES i love the 'lived in' aspect of the Selby photos... mind you some of the homes are pretty incredible and possibly very far from 'real life' homes.. still, gorgeous spaces :)

    ReplyDelete