Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Khai Liew Design



I've briefly mentioned Khai Liew before, but I just discovered his website (which for some reason I couldn't access when I first mentioned him) and his work is so stunning I think it's worth a follow-up mention!

Khai Liew worked as a consultant and restorer of early Australian furniture for over 20 years before setting up his own design studio in 1996. His early years deconstructing, studying and restoring classic furniture, and dealing in both Japanese and mid-century Danish pieces, have uniquely shaped his own approach to furniture design. These days, you can see the influence of both of these cultures in his work.

Khai Liew Design is understated, with meticulous craftsmanship and attention to detail. The pieces exquisitely balance both Asian and mid-century European aesthetics.... my favourite examples are his sideboards (images above) - classic Danish shapes with unique Japanese-style details...

0 comments:

Post a Comment